1 – Optimised architecture
The new PEUGEOT 3008 SUV is not only attractive to look at, it is also well thought-out, enjoying performance and features are in line with the best in the segment and up to the reputation of the brand.
At 4.45m in length it is positioned at the heart of the segment. And although it is 8cm longer than the previous generation, this extra length can be found in the wheelbase – and thus in the passenger space – which at 2 675 mm, increases by 62mm over the old 3008. This wheelbase is one of the longest on the market. With a width of 1.84m (the same as the previous generation but with enhanced interior space) the height of the new PEUGEOT 3008 has been kept to 1.62 m (including roof bars), a key factor in a remarkable aerodynamic performance whilst affording its occupants excellent head-room.
It is imposing, with its large wheels and 22cm ground clearance.
Inside, all key passenger dimensions are improved over the previous generation:
– Rear legroom +24 mm
– Front elbow room: + 17 mm
– Rear elbow room: +4 mm
– Rear headroom: + 36 mm (steel roof)…
Similarly boot capacity is greatly increased: with 520 litres VDA 210 under the luggage cover it is almost 90 litres bigger than on the previous generation (432 l VDA). Its versatility even allows the load capacity to be increased to 1580 litres!
This optimised architecture is accompanied by a step-change in weight, as an average of 100kg have been saved over the previous generation. To achieve this performance, each part made, each process employed has been subjected to a virtuous design cycle leading to a maximum weight gain in the name of fuel consumption, passive safety and dynamic performance of the vehicle. The key features are:
– VHSS and UHSS steels (Very High Strength Steel and Ultra High Strength Steel)
– Thermoplastic boot floor and tailgate
– Wings, front suspension arms and rear seat frames in aluminium
– Improved engine noise levels allowing reduction in sound-deadening materials …
2- The new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit: sensation amplifier!
The new PEUGEOT i-Cockpit® is a step forward in all areas. Higher quality visually, more technical in its design, better connected, more intuitive, it goes further still by playing on the pleasure and personalisation in its use.
It can also be accompanied by the optional i-Cockpit® Amplify where by the touch of a button on the central console, almost all senses are immediately aroused:
– Sight, by varying the brightness of the lighting and the ability to select the colour themes of the screens;
– Hearing, via the musical equaliser and sound settings;
– Touch, via the multipoint massage system embedded in the seats;
– Smell, via a fragrance diffuser (see below)
Occupants get the immediate choice of two themes: the « Boost » theme aimed at a dynamic driving style, and the « Relax » theme for gentler driving. These two themes are entirely configurable so that the driver and passengers exceed the limits of pleasure and make travelling on board unique and unforgettable.
Quality can also be seen in the fragrances offered by the i-Cockpit® Amplify. In fact they have been developed with Scentys and Antoine Lie , an internationally renowned perfumer, for a top of the range olfactive experience.
Each of the 3 fragrances on offer has its own characteristics:
– ‘Cosmic Cuir’ : a vibrant and sensual fragrance, and a genuine olfactive signature of the brand;
– ‘Aerodrive’ : a lively and stimulating fragrance (the default setting for the ‘Boost’ atmosphere);
– ‘Harmony Wood’ : an authentic and relaxing fragrance (the default setting for the ‘Relax’ atmosphere); There are also 3 intensity settings available.
Moreover, as in the PEUGEOT 308, sight, touch and hearing can further benefit from the stunning features of the Driver Sport Pack, which influences the following settings:
– firmer and more responsive power steering;
– more responsive accelerator pedal mapping;
– enhanced engine and gearbox response (on automatic versions, where paddle-shifters are also fitted to the steering wheel);
– engine sound amplified with a sporty note (via a digital amplifier which enhances the sound in the cabin);
– enhanced colour display on the various screens (instrument unit and touch-screen) with additional vehicle dynamics information displayed on the instrument unit: power output, boost pressure, longitudinal and lateral g-force.
3 – FOCAL® Premium Hi-Fi system for a top of the range acoustic voyage
The new PEUGEOT 3008 is able to offer as an option and a world first on any vehicle a factory-fitted Hi-Fi audio system developed by the French brand FOCAL®. As a specialist in the audio field for more than 35 years, FOCAL® is renowned worldwide for its patented innovations and its unique sound.
This system is fitted with 10 speakers using exclusive FOCAL® technology, bringing the pleasure of pure and defined sound on board the vehicle:
– High fidelity Woofers / mid-range : Polyglass technology for balanced and clear sound
– TNF Tweeters : Inverted aluminium dome technology for optimal sound output and clear high-pitched notes
– Subwoofer : 200 mm Power FlowerTM triple coil technology, for clear and dynamic reproduction of low frequencies
– Active 12-channel amplification – 515 Watts : Class AB / Class D hybrid technology, giving rich and fine high frequencies and genuinely powerful bass notes.
The speakers are fitted with metallic grilles, carrying the FOCAL® logo on front and rear tweeters.
4 – Numerous state-of-the-art driver aids
Ably assisted by the numerous electronic aids, the driver of the new PEUGEOT 3008 can fully enjoy the dynamic capabilities of his SUV. All these functions can be switched on and off at will using the “Vehicle parameters” menu.
Active Safety Brake and Distance Alert
The Distance Alert function (collision warning) warns the driver that the vehicle is about to collide with the vehicle in front or a pedestrian on the carriageway.
Active Safety Brake (emergency brake assist) comes into play after the warning if the driver does not react quickly enough and apply the brakes. In this way it helps, without any action from the driver, to avoid a collision or to mitigate its severity by reducing the vehicle speed. The system detects registered vehicles which are travelling in the same direction or stationary, as well as pedestrians on the road (cycles, motorcycles, animals and other objects on the carriageway are not detected).
Active Safety Brake operates if:
– Vehicle speed is between 5 kph and 140 kph when a moving vehicle is detected;
– Vehicle speed does not exceed 80 kph when a stationary vehicle is detected;
– Vehicle speed must not exceed 60 kph when a pedestrian is detected
Active Lane Departure Warning
Lane Departure Warning is a system using camera recognition of continuous or broken lines on the road surface that senses when the vehicle accidentally crosses lane markings. For maximum safety the camera processes the image and triggers a visual and audible warning if the vehicles goes off course when driver concentration lapses at speeds over 80 kph.
Between 65 and 180 kph, Active Lane Departure Warning also corrects the course of the vehicle: as soon as the system observes that the vehicle is likely to stray over a lane-marking line, the steering applies opposite lock progressively to keep the vehicle in its original lane. If the driver wishes to stay on the current path, he can override the correction by holding the steering wheel firmly (for instance during an avoidance manoeuvre). Correction will be halted if the direction indicator is activated.
Driver Attention Warning
The new 3008 is fitted as standard with Driving Time Warning : a warning is given if the system detects that the driver has not taken a break after driving for more than two hours at speeds above 65 kph. This warning takes the form of a message encouraging him to take a break, along with a warning chime.
Alongside this function is Driver Attention Warning. The vehicle has a camera fitted at the top of the windscreen which tracks its course. The system monitors the state of alertness of the driver by analysing any deviations from the path between road markings. It can then trigger various levels of audible and visual warning (“Stay alert!” or “Take a break!”)
Automatic adaptive headlamp main beam
The vehicle has a camera fitted at the top of the windscreen which monitors light sources. This system automatically switches between main and dipped beam according to lighting and traffic conditions. It thus maximises time spent on main beam for greater safety.
Speed Limit recognition and recommendation
The camera fitted at the top of the windscreen can detect and read speed limit and derestriction signs , and cause them to be displayed on the instrument unit. The system also uses speed limit information taken from the navigation system mapping. Individual speed limits such as those applicable to HGVs are not displayed. This feature is fitted as standard from the first trim level.
Speed recommendation complements this device: the driver can choose to modify the vehicle speed setting to that read by the camera, by pressing the ‘MEM’ button on the cruise control/speed limiter control.
Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop Function (Automatic gearboxes)
The vehicle is fitted with a radar unit at the centre of the front bumper having a range of 150 metres. Between 30 and 180kph, the Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop Function has two functions:
· To automatically maintain vehicle speed to that set by the driver
· To automatically keep the distance from the vehicle in front (3 pre-set levels: distant, normal and close) The system detects any preceding vehicle moving in the same direction. It automatically adjusts the vehicle speed to that of the vehicle in front using engine braking and the main brakes (in which case the brake lights come on), to keep a constant distance from the vehicle in front, right up to when the vehicle comes to a complete stop.
This feature is available as standard fitment or an option on automatic gearbox vehicles only (except 1,2L PureTech 130 S&S 6-speed auto).
Active Blind-spot Monitoring
Between 12 kph and 140 kph, this system warns the driver of the presence of another vehicle in his vehicle’s blind-spots, whenever it presents any potential danger. The warning takes the form of a tell-tale lamp that lights up in the door mirror on the relevant side, whenever a vehicle (car, lorry, cycle) is detected. The system works in conjunction with the Active Lane Departure Warning system : as well as the tell-tale lamp in the door mirror on the relevant side lighting up, a path correction will be felt if a lane marking is crossed with the direction indication activated, to help the driver to avoid a collision .
Visiopark 1 & 2
The vehicle is fitted with 180° video cameras on the tailgate (Visiopark 1) and in the front grille (Visiopark 2). The system shows the area surrounding the vehicle on the touch screen via the cameras. The parking aid sensors add further information to project a view from above the vehicle. A view from above the vehicle is shown in real time as the vehicle manoeuvres, giving an all-round 360° view . This view helps to position the vehicle when parking and to see all obstacles nearby.
Using side-facing ultrasonic sensors, this system provides active parking assistance:
– it identifies a parking space suitable for the size of the vehicle using sensors installed in the front and rear bumpers
– then it controls the steering to park the vehicle in the space
The driver controls acceleration, braking, gear selection and clutch (manual gearboxes). During the entry and exit phases to and from the parking space, the system gives visual and audible signals to the driver so that he can manoeuvre in safety. The driver can resume control of the steering at any time simply by gripping the steering wheel.
Park Assist will facilitate « parallel » (entry and exit) and « perpendicular » parking manoeuvres.